Who was Abu Huraira?
More information can be gotten from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Hurairah
He was a poor man who filled his stomach with Mohammad's (may peace be upon him) words. Yet, most early Muslims thought he was an idiot who wasted time narrating narrations, and thought he did nothing that was productive:
Volume 3, Book 39, Number 540:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
The people say that Abu Huraira narrates too many narrations. In fact Allah knows whether I say the truth or not. They also ask, "Why do the emigrants and the Ansar not narrate as he does?" In fact, my emigrant brethren were busy trading in the markets, and my Ansar brethren were busy with their properties. I was a poor man keeping the company of Allah's Apostle and was satisfied with what filled my stomach. So, I used to be present while they (i.e. the emigrants and the Ansar) were absent, and I used to remember while they forgot (the Hadith). One day the Prophet said, "Whoever spreads his sheet till I finish this statement of mine and then gathers it on his chest, will never forget anything of my statement." So, I spread my covering sheet which was the only garment I had, till the Prophet finished his statement and then I gathered it over my chest. By Him Who had sent him (i.e. Allah's Apostle) with the truth, since then I did not forget even a single word of that statement of his, until this day of mine. By Allah, but for two verses in Allah's Book, I would never have related any narration (from the Prophet). (These two verses are): "Verily! Those who conceal the clear signs and the guidance which we have sent down .....(up to) the Merciful.' (2.159-160)
In fact, the first Muslims also thought he was something much more than an idiot, but a guinea pig.
Volume 5, Book 59, Number 545:
Aban bin Said came to the Prophet and greeted him. Abu Huraira said, "O Allah's Apostle! This (Aban) is the murderer of the Ibn Qauqal." (On hearing that), Aban said to Abu Huraira, "How strange your saying is! You, a guinea pig, descending from Qadum Dan, blaming me for (killing) a person whom Allah favored (with martyrdom) with my hand, and whom He forbade to degrade me with his hand.'
So what great hadiths did Abu Huraira provide us with?
1) That she-monkeys were capable of sexual intercourse and that Abu Huraira used to go and stone them; http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/04/she-monkeys-were-capable-of-illegal.html
2) Got easily fooled by Satan, who likd to recite Quran surahs: http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/09/satan-reciting-quran-surahs.html
3) Discussed a man converting to Islam after a wolf hustled him out of one of his sheep http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/06/guy-converts-to-islam-after-wolf-ate_23.html
4) Prophet Mohammad said that Animal Dung is the food of Jinn http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/05/animal-dung-is-food-of-jinns.html
5) And ofcourse, the story about Moses (Musa) beating the crap out of a stone which stole its clothes. http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/04/moses-once-execessively-beat-stone.html
These hadiths are just the tip of the iceberg of silliness. We know that Abu Huraira was not well liked because he would go around following Mohammad (may peace be upon him) and narrating his stories. The first Muslims thought Huraira was an unprodutive fool.
1) Was Abu Huraira productive in bringing forth these hadiths, and were the first Muslims right about Abu Huraira?
2) If Abu Huraira was not productive, did he become unproductive because he started to listen to the words of Prohet Mohammad (may peace be upon him) too much?
a) Have Muslim countries taken queue from Abu Huraira, becoming unproductive (comparison between India and Pakistan: http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/06/mohammad-forbid-muslims-to-play-chess.html)
3) Why are many of Abu Huraira's hadiths so nonsensical?
a) Did Islam make him blind to common sense and logic?
b) Or was he that way before?
i) If he was that way before, how can the most trusted hadith scholars trust him for a very significant amount of hadiths and traditions giving rise to the Sunna?
ii) Did Islam make hadith writers like Bukhari and Muslim blind to common sense and logic?
iii) Or did the hadith writers use Abu Huraira as a tool for making fun of Prophet Mohammad (may peace be upon him), since it is apparent none of the first Muslims respected Abu Huraira much, in a subverted way to show that the hadith writers did not believe Mohammad (may peace be upon him) was a Prophet? http://muslimhadith.blogspot.com/2008/12/2008-year-in-review.html